On Saturday 25th June 2022 reports emerged of attack on a female Referee Patience Nweke at the end of the Nigeria National League encounter between J Atete Fc and Ekiti United Fc .
J Atete Fc were defeated 0-1 by visiting Ekiti United Fc at the Utu Jeremy stadium in Ughelli , Delta state. At the end of the match, Players of J Atete Fc were reported to have attacked the Referee until she slumped and had to be rushed to the hospital for medical attention.
In response to the reports, J Atete Fc has released a statement confirming, condemning and revealing it’s reaction to the ugly incident with a plea for mercy to the Nigeria National League board in view of expected disciplinary sanctions.
The statement signed by the General manager of the club states categorically that;
1. The said referee, Patience Nweke, a native of Imo State, was indeed attacked by a player of the team who has been identified as Onos John, has been apprehended, and is facing charges for his violent act.
2. The referee was taken to the Jeremi General hospital for treatment by the Chairman of J. Atete FC, Deacon Julius Atete, with the medical expenses sorted.
3. Contrary to reports claiming the referee was feared dead, she is hale and hearty and would have arrived at her base by the time of this publication.
4. We frown at any form of violence and indiscipline by players officials and fans alike, thus the need to clear the air.
5. The said player has been expelled from the club pending further investigations.
6. We regret this unfortunate incident and tender our unreserved apology to the football fraternity over the unfortunate incident.
7. We appeal to the league body to serve justice with mercy during its deliberations as regards sanction to be meted on the club.