It has been reported by various sources that Chelsea would definitely sign a striker this summer.
The European Champions have been linked with different strikers at different times, there were reports of a move for Bayern Munich’s Roberto Lewandowski.
And for the most part of this summer transfer the two-time European Champions were linked with a move for Borussia Dortmund’s Erling Haaland.
Romelu Lukaku was another big time striker linked with the London club but he was quick to reject the link earlier in the transfer window.
But with a deal for Dortmund’s Earling Haaland proving too difficult and with just few weeks to the end of the transfer window, Chelsea are again linked with their former striker Romelu Lukaku.
The deal could be completed in a matter of days as both parties (Chelsea and Romelu Lukaku) are said to be open to a reunion.
Lukaku is said to be interested in the move as he has an unfinished business at his boyhood club and Chelsea are also prepared to pay Inter Milan the demanded fee of £100m.
Mixed reaction has trailed the news as some of the club fans want the club to go all out for a younger striker in Earling Haaland.
They do not see the need for the club spending £100m on Romelu Lukaku, 28, while they can get Earling Haaland, 21 for £150m.
Here are five I reasons why signing Romelu Lukaku could be a bargin compared to Earling Haaland
1. Lukaku is in his prime. At 28 he still has at least 6 years to offer at the highest level. The best strikers in the world, Suarez, Lewandowski and Benzema are not in their 20s and are still doing bits. Romelu Lukaku Bolingoli is not exactly old, Chelsea can keep counting on him to deliver the goods.
2. Lukaku knows the EPL inside out, at 26 he already notched up enough goals to convince naysayers that he is good enough to deliver the goods. 113 goals in 252 appearances is not bad for a guy who started off as a bit part player. Add his 35 assists and you will appreciate that 148 goal contributions is fair for any striker, anywhere in the world.
3. Haaland is a generational talent, but the jury is still out. The Norwegian wonder-kid has scored loads of goals but it is yet to be seen if he can do this in the EPL. We know that Chelsea have gambled on such prospects in the past, however his financial package is too enormous to leave any room for doubts.
4. The fans might look at Haaland’s price tag as just 30-50 million pounds more. In reality this is not true. To acquire Erling Haaland, the buyer must be willing to pay an additional 40 million pounds to his agent. This pushes the deal to 200 million Pounds. Factor in a wage packet of 350,000 per week for at least 6 years. That should push up the entire deal to around 300,000,000 British pounds. Wow. Imagine paying such for a player that could end up not meeting up to the club’s expectations or ambition, that would be financial suicide. Lukaku on the other hand would cost 165 million pounds. The gap is too wide to ignore.
5. The Mino Raiola factor must not be ignored. Manchester United are still reeling from the harsh realities of dealing with him in the past. In fact, a majority of United fans would rather keep faith with Anthony Martial than have any thing to do with the super agent, it is that bad.
By: Victor Ugochukwu Ezeonwumelu