ArticleBasketballNEWSNigerians in NBA
Nwora, KD, Irving, Westbrook: Relive the biggest NBA trades of this window
Nigerian star Jordan Nwora was among the NBA stars to complete trades before Thursday’s deadline. The NBA trades of January/February 2023 saw teams in the Western Conference take the initiative much more, with the movement of various superstars observed until the trade deadline on Thursday. Here is a recap of some of the biggest deals that went down;
- Kevin Durant to Phoenix Suns: Two-time NBA champion and Finals MVP Kevin Durant decided to move from the East to the West, joining the Phoenix Suns after spending four years donning the jersey of the Brooklyn Nets. The 34-year-old joined the Suns alongside TJ Warren, with Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and four future first-round draft picks going in the other direction.
- Kyrie Irving to Dallas Mavericks: The Dallas Mavericks will launch an attack on the Western Conference after acquiring the talents of Kyrie Irving in a trade from Brooklyn Nets in the East. The 30-year-old guard joined the Mavericks alongside Markieff Morris, with Dorian Finney-Smith, Spencer Dinwiddie and three future draft picks moving to New York in their stead. Kyrie Irving will now team up with Luka Doncic in what will be his first stint in the Western Conference of the NBA.
- D’Angelo Russell to Los Angeles Lakers: Los Angeles Lakers acquired D’Angelo Russell from the Minnesota Timberwolves in what was a three-team deal involving the Lakers, Timberwolves and Utah Jazz. The deal saw Russell Westbrook bring his nightmarish 18-month stint in LA to an end as he joined the Utah Jazz while the Lakers acquired Jarred Vanderbilt and Malik Beasley. The Timberwolves got Mike Conley and Nickeil Alexander-Walker, while the Jazz got Juan Toscano-Anderson and Damian Jones along with Westbrook.
- Jordan Nwora to Indiana Pacers: D’Tigers star Jordan Nwora finally ended his stint with the Milwaukee Bucks as he joined the Indiana Pacers in a three-team deal involving the Pacers, Bucks and Brooklyn Nets. 2021 NBA champion Nwora joins the Pacers alongside Serge Ibaka and George Hill, while the Nets will receive two future draft picks. The Bucks acquired Jae Crowder from the Nets alongside five future draft picks.
- Rui Hachimura to Los Angeles Lakers: One of the earliest trades in January, Rui Hachimura swapped sides to move to Los Angeles, with Kendrick Nunn and three future draft picks moving to the Washington Wizards.
- Pat Beverley to Orlando Magic: Pat Beverley was traded by the Los Angeles Lakers as they look to get their season back in order. The experienced guard joined Orlando Magic on the NBA trade deadline, with center Mo Bamba moving in the other direction.
Sixteen trades in 13 hours.
The final stretch of the NBA trade deadline got hectic. pic.twitter.com/S7zvJ53XfY
— The Athletic (@TheAthletic) February 9, 2023