Silverware galore for Nigerian players in Europe as football season reaches conclusion
Eleven different Nigerian players claim trophies with clubsides across Europe
As the 2020/21 football season draws to a close, we have put together a list of Nigerian footballers who have earned silverware with their various clubs across Europe. Striking duo, Asisat Oshoala and Rasheedat Ajibade have represented the Super Falcons in Europe, and they are joined on this list by nine Nigerian male footballers.
1. Kelechi Iheanacho/Wilfred Ndidi (FA Cup): The Leicester City duo of Iheanacho and Ndidi have made waves for their social media activities, as they have endeared themselves to the fans of the club with their witty posts on their social media. They, however, took their performances on the pitch more seriously as they helped Leicester City to win their first-ever FA Cup title, defeating Chelsea 1-0 in the final.
2. Abdullahi Shehu (Cypriot First Division): 28-year-old utility man, Shehu was a key player for Cypriot side Omonia Nicosia as they emerged champions of Cyprus. The midfielder-cum fullback appeared in a number of roles for his side this season, slotting in as and when needed in the team.
3. Joe Aribo/Leon Balogun (Scotland Premier League): Rangers duo of Aribo and Balogun, both of whom are established in the Super Eagles were key members of Steven Gerrard’s side as they went through the season unbeaten in Scotland, winning the league in style for the first time in 10 years, and ending Old Firm rivals, Celtic’s dominance in the country.
4. Paul Onuachu (Belgian Croky Cup): Unarguably Nigeria’s biggest performer this year, Onuachu was part of the KRC Genk side that won the Belgian Croky Cup in April, even providing an assist in the final. The 26-year-old had a fine season with Genk and capped off the season with silverware.
5. Peter Olayinka (Czech First League, Czech Cup): Slavia Prague striker Peter Olayinka is a member of the side that won the Czech Cup. Slavia Prague are also the champions-elect in the League as they hold an unassailable lead at the summit of the league with only one game left to play.
6. Iyayi Believe (Croatian Cup): Dinamo Zagreb winger Iyayi Believe Atiemwen was part of the Croatian Cup-winning side this season. The 25-year-old is awaiting a first call-up to the national side.
7. Anthony Nwakaeme (Turkish Super Cup): Trabzonspor winger Nwakaeme played a key role in their Turkish Super Cup triumph over Istanbul Basaksehir as his side went on to win the Turkish Super Cup, following up on their league cup triumph in the 2019/20 season.
8. Asisat Oshoala (La Liga, UEFA Women’s Champions League): Recently voted as the greatest Super Falcons player ever, Oshoala was a key member of the FC Barcelona Femeni side that won the Spanish La Liga without dropping a single point all season. She also played a starring role in the Catalans’ UEFA Women’s Champions League triumph, becoming the first African to ever win the trophy.
9) Rasheedat Ajibade (Supercopa De Espana Femenino): Ajibade picked up silverware within days of joining Atletico Madrid Femenino as they won the Super Copa del España, defeating FC Barcelona Femeni in the semifinals.