Super Eagles took centre stage in the world of football as they helped their various clubs to great effect in the opening matchday of the English Premier League, German Bundesliga, Turkish Super Lig and a host of other competitions.
Here is a compilation of the significant contributions of Nigerian internationals over the weekend;
- Ahmed Musa: None better to start with than the captain, Musa had an impressive start to his Karagumruk career as he scored a 90th-minute winner for his new side in their 3-2 win over Gaziantep FK on the opening weekend of the Turkish Super Lig.
- Paul Onuachu: Last season’s Belgian Jupiler League Player of the Year is showing us that he is not a one-season wonder as he scored for his side in their win against OH Leuven in the Belgian league. It was his third goal of the season for the club, picking up from where he left off last season.
- Victor Osimhen: Africa’s most expensive player scored his EIGHTH(!!) goal in preseason for Napoli as they defeated Pescara 4-0 in their final preseason match ahead of the 2021/22 Italian Serie A.
- Terem Moffi: Moffi scored his fourth career goal in just three outings against AS Monaco as FC Lorient defeated the principality club 1-0 on the second weekend of the French Ligue 1.
- Taiwo Awoniyi: Awoniyi scored a brilliant screamer for Union Berlin in their 1-1 home draw against Bayer Leverkusen on the opening day of the German Bundesliga season.
- Emmanuel Dennis: Dennis picked up the man of the match award on his debut for Watford against Aston Villa in the English Premier League. The striker scored one and created another in a 3-2 win for Watford.
- Ibrahim Sunusi: Former NPFL goal king Ibrahim Sunusi finally opened his account with Montreal Impact in the MLS as he came off the bench to score the goal that sparked a 2-1 comeback win against New York Red Bulls.
- Moses Simon: Nantes man Simon won the man of the match award as he continued his sensational start to the season in the French Ligue 1. Simon provided a brace of assists in their 2-0 win over FC Metz to take his tally for the season to three assists in the 2021/22 season.
- Alex Iwobi: Iwobi made a telling contribution for Everton in Rafa Benitez’s first match in charge. The attacker came off the bench to assist Everton’s second goal in a 3-1 come back win against Southampton on the opening day of the season.
- Chidera Ejuke: The CSKA Moscow winger grabbed an assist for his side in their 3-1 win over FC Rostov in the Russian Premier League.
- Oghenekaro Etebo: The midfield maestro showed his class as he made 12 recoveries of the ball on his debut for Watford against Aston Villa, the most of any player in the league on Matchday One. He helped Watford win 3-2 against Aston Villa.
- Tyronne Ebuehi: Ebuehi scored the winning penalty for newly-promoted Venezia in their shootout Coppa Italia win against Frosinone to send them to the next round.
- Ola Aina: After spending last season at Fulham, Aina returned to Torino and scored the winning penalty in their shootout win against Cremonese in the Coppa Italia.
- Frank Onyeka: Former FC Midtjylland midfielder Onyeka impressed on his debut for Brentford in their 2-0 win over Arsenal. He played for 80 minutes before being substituted.
On a sobering note, Girondins de Bordeaux winger Samuel Kalu collapsed in the fifth minute of his side’s Ligue 1 clash against Olympique Marseille at the Stade Velodrome just as Dmitri Payet was about to take a freekick for the home side. The winger received emergency medical care on the pitch before signalling that he was okay to continue. He lasted for another eight minutes before he was substituted, eventually, and taken to the hospital for further checks.