After an eventful round of FIFA World Cup qualifiers, Nigeria’s Super Eagles top performers returned to their various clubs around Europe, where they marked their return with impressive performances for their clubs.
Taiwo Awoniyi, Victor Osimhen and Chidera Ejuke continued their impressive starts to the 2021/22 season as they notched a goal each for their sides.
Here is a list of Super Eagles top performers from the weekend’s action across Europe.
- Victor Osimhen: The Napoli striker carried over his goalscoring form for Nigeria as he scored an 81st-minute winner to propel his side to a narrow 1-0 win over Torino. Osimhen has found the net eight times for Napoli this season in only nine appearances in all competitions.
- Taiwo Awoniyi: Like Osimhen, like Awoniyi; the Union Berlin striker scored the opening goal for his side in their 2-0 win over Wolfsburg in the German Bundesliga to take his tally for the season to nine goals after only 13 appearances since completing his permanent switch from Liverpool. The 24-year-old made his Super Eagles debut in a 1-0 defeat to Central African Republic, and with this form, can force his way into the squad for the upcoming African Cup of Nations.
- Chidera Ejuke: After endearing himself to the Nigeria supporters for his mazy runs and outrageous dribbling and close control, Ejuke scored a brilliant curler for CSKA Moscow as they ran out 1-0 winners against FC Ural in the Russian Premier League. The winger has now scored three times this season for the Russian side and was named Player of the Month in September.
- Kelechi Iheanacho: Leicester City ace Iheanacho delivered on his second league start of the season as he assisted Youri Tielemans’ equaliser in his side’s 4-2 win over Manchester United.
- Simy Nwankwo: Lanky striker Simy Nwankwo earned himself a place among Super Eagles top performers with a goal for newly-promoted Salernitana against Spezia in their 2-1 loss. It was the striker’s first goal since completing a transfer to Salernitana from relegated Crotone.
- Samuel Chukwueze: Tricky winger Samuel Chukwueze finds himself among Super Eagles top performers after making his first appearance in five months for Villarreal in their 2-1 defeat to Osasuna. The winger made an appearance off the bench as he replaced Arnaut Danjuma after 78 minutes of the match.