Nigeria’s Super Eagles were well-represented in Europe as they delivered impressive performances in some of the top leagues to help their clubs pick up important results. Here is a list of the top Nigerian performers from the weekend;
- Paul Onuachu: KRC Genk striker Paul Onuachu continued his fine start to the season for the Belgian side as he came off the bench to score the winner for his side in their 2-1 win against Sint Truiden. The Super Eagles man replaced fellow Nigerian striker Ike Ugbo before scoring in the 83rd minute to register a goal for his second goal in four days after his goal in their Europa League opener.
- Emmanuel Dennis: One-cap Super Eagles forward Emmanuel Dennis was once again impressive for Watford as he scored their opening goal in a 3-1 win over relegation rivals Norwich to take his tally this season to two goals in five league appearances.
- Moses Simon: Super Eagles and FC Nantes winger Moses Simon assisted twice in his side’s 4-1 win over Angers as he took his assist tally for the season to five, making him the best creator in the French Ligue 1 at the moment. He assisted goals for Andrei Girotto and Randal Kolo Muani in the opening 23 minutes of the match.
- Joe Aribo: Rangers midfielder Joe Aribo assisted Fashion Sakala to score the opening goal for their side in the 1-1 draw against Motherwell. The point took Rangers back to the top of the Scottish Premier Football League.
- Cyriel Dessers: Super Eagles forward Cyriel Dessers returned to the Eredivisie on loan after a tough spell as backup striker to Paul Onuachu at Genk and made an impressive contribution as his side Feyenoord thrashed PSV Eindhoven 4-0. Dessers came on in the 83rd minute and set up Jens Toornstra two minutes later to make it 3-0 before he scored one of his own in added time to round off the scoring.
- Anthony Nwakaeme: Trabzonspor forward Anthony Nwakaeme delivered another important contribution for his side as he assisted the lone strike by Anastasios Bakasetas in his side’s 1-0 win over Kasimpasa in the Turkish Super Lig.
The recent performance of a host of Super Eagles stars in Europe would undoubtedly gladden coach Gernot Rohr ahead of the upcoming African Cup of Nations, and the coach will hope that the players can maintain their good form at the tournament in Cameroon in January 2022.