Smith: Hughes in Australia´s thoughts
Steve Smith said Australia will have Phillip Hughes in their thoughts when they attempt to secure a Test series victory against New Zealand a year after the batsman’s tragic death.
It will be a year ago to the day since Hughes passed away at the age of 25 when Australia take to the field for the first day-night Test at the Adelaide Oval on Friday.
Former Australia opener Hughes was struck on the neck by a Sean Abbott delivery while batting for South Australia in a Sheffield Shield match against New South Wales and was unable to recover from his injuries.
Australia captain Smith said ahead of the third and final Test: “Obviously it was a pretty difficult time for us all coming here last year just after the horrible incident happened.
“I think for us now a year on we still have Hughesy in the back of our mind every time we walk out onto the field.
“That’s no different a year on out here this week, we’re going to do our best to play with a smile on our faces, hopefully play well for Hughesy, obviously it’s a tough time for his family and his friends and we respect that.
“Hopefully we can have a good week for Phillip.”
Smith also revealed that he and some of his team-mates had been rocked by the sight of a net bowler being struck by a shot from Mitchell Marsh this week.
“I was a bit shaken up to be perfectly honest, and I think a couple of the guys were as well,” he said.
“I think it was one year to the day since that horrible accident happened, so I think it shook up a few of the players, luckily I think the guy was okay.
“He got a couple of stitches in the back of his ear, and Mitchell Marsh hit that ball pretty hard and thankfully the net bowler is okay.”