Cyriel Desssers has finished as the top scorer of the maiden Europa Conference League as his Feyenoord side suffered a 1-0 defeat to Roma in Tirana on Wednesday.
Nicolo Zaniolo scored the only goal that determined the game as Roma won the first-ever Europa Conference League final.
A lot were at stake on Wednesday as either team, Tammy Abraham, Cyriel Dessers and Jose Mourinho knew they could enter the history books.
In the end, Roma, Jose Mourinho and Cyriel Dessers entered the history books for achieving different feats.
Roma moved in front with the first real chance of the match, as Zaniolo brought down Gianluca Mancini’s excellent delivery with his chest and stabbed an instinctive finish home.
Cyriel Dessers and his Feyenoord side pushed for an equalisers but Chris Smalling the final’s man of the match and his teammates defended with their lives.
- This is Roma’s first trophy since the Coppa Italia in 2008
- It is Roma’s first European major trophy not counting their 1960-61 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup
- Jose Mourinho became the first coach to win a major European trophy with four different clubs (UEFA Cup and Champions League with Porto, Champions League while at Inter, and the Europa League during his time at Manchester United)
- Jose Mourinho is the first manager to win all three major European Club Cup Competitions
- Cyriel Dessers finishes top with 10 goals at the maiden event